Thursday, December 9, 2010

New look...

It was apparently time for a new look. I finally had a minute to explore the blog design options. The controls have changed quite a bit since the last time I changed the look, much easier to use.

So it seems wasting time has not been my strong point. While I have been watching Sex and the City, it is more of a background thing while I work on other things. When Ryan and I were first discussing how much I should work each job to make a reasonable amount of money without breaking my back, I figured at least 5 sub days a month (you never can tell when you'll be needed as a sub) and then 20-25 hours a week at Target. As soon as I spread the word that I was subbing, I got about 5 jobs in the first hour. Now, teachers search for me in the various classrooms and schedule sub-days here, there and everywhere! I am so blessed to get so many jobs that I don't have to worry about how many hours Target schedules me. My sub calendar for the month was full by December 7 and I am still getting random phone calls from other schools and teachers! I have reserved 1 day a week to spend time in my internship classroom because I loved those kids and my cooperating teacher so much.

Being in different classrooms everyday hasn't been easy. The morning starts off with establishing myself with 15-20 students as a credible teacher worth listening to for a minute or two. Then we spend the day trying to get through the lessons and deciding when the kids are telling me the truth about what Ms. or Mr. Normal Teacher "usually does". I am, however, really enjoying getting to learn how each teacher sets up his or her classroom. I have learned so many tiny little things that make the classroom run smoothly and keeps it organized. Also, I am getting tons of experience teaching the new (nearly impossible) math standards that everyone is having trouble with teaching. It is very difficult to pick up the math lesson for the day and try to teach it to the kids. Most of the time, I am clueless as to how much of the previous lessons that the students understood. I just have to pray that they understood enough to make it through the next lesson that I have to teach. I'm glad that I am getting to go to different grade levels because the more exposure to the new math, the better prepared I'll be when I have my own math lessons to teach!

As far as the apartment looks, you wouldn't be able to tell that I have had much time off. Technically, I haven't since I've been subbing during the day and working target some nights and every weekend. The dishes have been caught up and the laundry is less of a mountain and more of a normal looking pile. There is still work to be done, so off I go!

1 comment:

Nana said...

Awesome on all those sub jobs. That is no small thing that you are already so established with so many teachers at various schools! Good on you sweetie! Love you, Mom